Login FormClose

Other Information

May 13 DRAFT Minutes

Bunwell Parish Council


Minutes of a Parish Council Meeting 


Held at Bunwell Village Hall


on 13th May 2013 Immediately Following the Parish Meeting.


1.   Present

Cllr W F. Easton (in the chair)

Cllr P.D. Clarke

Cllr M.H. Dávila-Smith

Cllr Mrs D A Harrison

Cllr R J Kemp

Cllr J W Pennell

Cllr R. Smith


Cllr R.J. Spreadbury

Cllr K.J. Womack

In attendance:

Cllr Beverley Spratt - District & County Councillor

9 Members of the public

Mr D Westrup – Tree Warden

2.   Election of Chairman

On the proposal of Cllr Kemp, seconded by Cllr Dávila-Smith, Cllr Easton was elected Chairman

3.   Declaration of office:

Cllr Easton signed the declaration.

4.   Election of Vice-Chairman

On the proposal of Cllr Easton, seconded by Cllr Pennell, Cllr Cllr Dávila-Smith was elected Chairman

5.           Appointments to Outside bodies


6.           Appointment of Committees and subcommittees


7.           Payment of annual subscriptions

It was agreed to continue subscriptions to Norfolk Playing Fields Association nd the Norfolk Association of Local Councils.  Cllr Pennell added that the NPFA was considering a joint subscription with Fields In Trust (the new name for the National Playing Fields Association which offered discounted insurance and playing field inspections to members.

8.           Inspections of deeds:

The deeds of the Village Hall and the Playing field and sport’s hall leases are available for inspection at the parish council office.

9.           Apologies:

None : It was noted that the clerk was unable to attend due to illness.  It was thought that County & District Councillor Spratt was held up in other meetings.  The council noted, with pleasure, his recent re-election as County Councillor for West Depwade

10.        Declarations of interest:

Cllr Easton declared an interest in the area outside the school and church.

11.        Minutes of the meeting held on 8th April 2013:

The minutes of the meeting held on 8th April 2013, having been circulated were taken as read, agreed and signed by the chairman as a correct record.

12.        Matters arising from the minutes:

There were no matters arising.

13.        Adjournment of Meeting for the public to raise issues of concern:

The meeting was adjourned to allow the public to raise and issues of concern.

A member of the public questioned when the accounts would be available.  The process of preparation, internal and external audit was explained and the individual was given a pack of current figures to take home.

14.        Correspondence

a.     ROSPA: Letter from ROSPA dated 10 May 2013 announced that they would be inspecting the play area in June.

b.     Anglian Water : Anglian Water will be visiting the pumping station to inspect damage to verges and will update us by the end of May.

c.     Other emailed correspondence: Cllr Pennell was concerned that email correspondence to all councillors and through the clerk was not being discussed in public meeting.  An agenda item should be included to discuss how electronic mail was dealt with and the difficulty of having one mail box for multiple councils.

15.        Reports

Police and crime issues: Reported at Annual Parish Meeting.

Tree Warden’s: Reported at Annual Parish Meeting.

Footpath Warden’s: Reported at Annual Parish Meeting. 

Cllr Womack commented on the uneven path by Day’s garage.  As this is technically Carleton Rode, the Clerk should be asked to write to their footpath warden with our concerns.

16.        Children’s Play Area Report:

Cllr Easton undertook the inspection on 10th May and had prepared a useful checklist for others to use.  Action will wait until after the imminent ROSPA inspection and he will prepare a safety ‘to do’ list to action.  He has kindly agreed to spray paths.  Cllr Spreadbury will report on the play area in May and Cllr Smith in June.

17.        Finance

Accounts :Cllr Harrison explained the annual accounts for the year ended 31 March 2013 and it was agreed to carry forward the discussion on what item to purchase to commemorate the Jubilee to the next meeting.  It was agreed that the budgeted donation should be made to FOBSA.

Internal Audit :It was proposed and agreed that Anne Barnes be reappointed as the internal auditor and the Clerk was instructed to contact her.

Bank Account : The difficulty of obtaining a new cheque book from Barclays was discussed and the possibility of changing banks should be carried forward to the next meeting.

Payments: The following payments were approved:

·         HM revenue & Customs £432.60 (clerk’s tax)

·         SJ Berwick £40.38(Expenses)

·         Came & Co £617.18 (insurance)

Computer: The payment to 121 Computers for a laptop costing £488.99 was not approved as the detail and cost of this item had not been discussed albeit that the budget had allowed for some sort of separate IT arrangement for Bunwell PC records. Cllr Pennell reiterated his point that all Bunwell PC email should go to a separate address and be backed up on a hard disk.  It was agreed to defer discussion on this until the next meeting.

18.                Planning applications: none

19.                Noticeboards:

Bunwell Hill Notice Board requires 2 new post spikes which Cllr Spreadbury was authorised to purchase on behalf of the Council. He will also re position the notice board in the verge. Cllr Pennell has the key and Cllr Womack was authorised to modify the lock once opened, so that it will not require locking in future.

Board at Ruby Farm on Low Common: this is owned by Mr Stimpson should ideally be replaced with a proper notice board. Cllrr Easton to speak to Mr Stimpson to enquire if the PC could erect a notice board there.  Cllr Womack agreed to look to supplying a suitable notice board, with the help of her carpenter partner, in consultation with the Stimpsons, the owners of the wall at the farm.

Bunwell Bottom (Wymondham Road): is still without a notice board and a resident noted that a good location would be by the salt bin by Cherry Tree Farm.  It was agreed to discuss this at the next meeting.

Notice boards are currently located at the Village Hall, Bunwell Stores, Low Common (Ruby Farm), and Bunwell Hill. 

Cllr Womack kindly agreed to be ‘noticeboard warden’ and ensure that all boards are up to date. A resident had commented on the lack of communicated and delay in providing an agenda for this meeting.  This had been due to the Clerk’s illness and also the removal of the papers from one of the notice boards.  This needs to be addressed in the next meeting.

20.                On-going matters:

a.   Highway Matters

The water on the road between Orchard and Quaker Farms remains a concern.  Cllr Easton had spoken to both farmers concerned and both had agreed to clear their ditches.  The blocked pipe in Hall lane will need to be cleared by Anglian Water which will result in a road closure.

Cllr Pennell reported that the resurfacing of Rectory lane will take place in 2013/14.

Update on Bunwell’s application to NCC scheme: Cllr Pennell reported that as agreed, the Council made the two bids for the kerbing in the Street and the tarmacking of the area outside the school.  Total bids to the scheme from all Councils amounted to £1.2m and we are waiting to hear the outcome. Both pieces of work are under the match-funding scheme and will not cost the Parish.

Cllr Smith suggested that it would be a good idea to ask the residents what they would like done within the village and we could then list matters and report progress at each meeting.  It was suggested that this question is raised in the Parish magazine and put on the website with parishioners invited to comment. This should be done as soon as possible to take advantage of the June grant deadline. 

Highway Rangers – they have not visited and there remains a long list of tasks.

b.   Standards Regime Training: 13th June 2013  at 7.30 p.m. at Wacton village hall.  All councillors were encouraged to attend.

c.    Green Grant Progress: Cllr Pennell said he was still awaiting cheque from the Parish Council.

21.                Reports on Meetings Attended

Summer Conference: Cllr Pennell said that this was worth attending at a cost of £45.  The clerk is to email the details.

22.                Matters of importance from councillors:

Cllr Smith reported that a resident had spoken to him about a car which is parked down from the householder’s drive and nearly touching The Street.  The car obscures motorist’s vision as they pull out from Greenways.  It was suggested that the PCSO gives them a call to explain the obstruction.

23.                Agenda items for next meeting:

No additional items were mentioned.

24.                Date of Next Meeting:

 Monday 3rd  June at 7.30 p.m.


The meeting closed at 9.45 p.m.