Login FormClose

Other Information

April 13 DRAFT minutes





ON 8th APRIL 2013 AT 7.30 p.m.

Present: Cllr W Easton, Cllr J Pennell, Cllr R Kemp, Cllr Mrs D Harrison, Cllr R Spreadbury, Cllr R Smith, Cllr P Clarke, Cllr K Womack, District and County Councillor Spratt, clerk Sarah Berwick and nine members of the public.


1. Apologies: Apologies were received and accepted from Cllr M Dávila-Smith as he is on holiday.

2. Declarations of interest: Cllr Easton declared an interest in the area outside the school and church.

3. Co-option of two Councillors: Two residents have shown an interest in joining the parish council, Mr Paul Clarke and Miss Katherine Womack. Cllr Kemp proposed that Paul Clarke joins the council; this was seconded by Cllr Spreadbury. Cllr Easton proposed that Katherine Womack joins the council; this was seconded by Cllr Pennell. Both Paul and Katherine were unanimously voted onto the parish council. They both signed the declaration of acceptance of office and joined the councillors.

4. Minutes of the meeting held on 4th March 2013: The minutes were agreed and therefore signed as a true and accurate record of the meeting.

5. Matters arising from the minutes: There were no matters arising.

6. Adjournment of the meeting for the public to raise issues of concern: A member of the public asked if councillors could introduce themselves, this was duly done.

7. District and County Councillor’s Report: Cllr Spratt had nothing to report but would stay for the discussion on Highway matters.

8. Correspondence

a. Bunwell Poor Allotment (Fuel Charity): The trustees considered the parish councils suggestion of making people who use the food bank aware of the charity. They stated that the conditions would remain the same i.e. must have lived in the village for three years.

b. Mr Edwards – concern of work undertaken at pumping station: Mr Edwards reported that Anglian Water had damaged the adjacent verges whist accessing the site. It was agreed to support Mr Edwards and the clerk was asked to write to him and Anglian Water.

c. Long Stratton Safer Neighbourhood Police – any concerns: PCSO Dack apologises for not having attended a parish council meeting however he was happy to do so if there were any areas of concern.

d. RoSPA Playground Inspection and Management Course 22/4/13: No one was able to attend

e. Norfolk Lowland Search and Rescue – Donation: It was agreed to donate £25.

f. Milestone Society – request for help to maintaining the milestone on B1113: It was agreed not to make a donation as councillors felt that the milestone should not be painted.

9. Police and crime issues: There were two crimes reported in the village during March. Both were criminal damage to vehicles on The Street.

10. Tree Warden’s Report: Mr Westrup reported he is liaising with the school to see if they can take advantage of a scheme to promote the importance of trees in the changing environment by providing a grant for trees.

11. Footpath Warden’s Report: Cllr Spreadbury reported that there have been two working parties to replace missing posts however it was disappointing that one of the newly replaced posts has already gone missing. Another working party will be arranged soon. Cllr Spreadbury has spoken to a resident who was not following a footpath but walking around the perimeter of a field.

12. Children’s Play Area Report: Someone is still needed to undertake the monthly inspection of the play area. Cllr Easton will undertake it this month, Cllr Spreadbury will do it in May and Cllr Smith in June by which time it is hoped someone will be found to undertake the inspections.

13. Finance

a. Recession of Financial Regulations which prohibits financial decisions unless there are 5 councillors present: It was agreed to defer this item until the point can be found in the minutes.

b. The following payments were approved:

i. SJ Berwick £66.75 (Expenses)

ii. ECI £60.00 (Post mix for footpath signs)

iii. Norfolk Association Local Councils £178.13 (Membership)

iv. Norfolk Parish Training Partnership £35 (Training for R Smith)

v. NorLSAR £25 (donation)

vi. Mr J Pennell £57.54 (PDF Writer and Postage)

14. Planning applications: There were no planning applications for consideration.

15. On-going matters:

a. Highway Matters

i. General Concerns: There were no new issues raised.

ii. Meeting with Highway Engineer: Cllr Pennell has met with Gary Overland, Area Highway Engineer and took him to the trouble spots in the village. Gary agreed something needs to be done about the erosion on The Street and agreed that kerbing the area from Days Garage to the shop would improve the situation. He will provide a cost to undertake this for the Parish Partnership Scheme. Rectory Lane will be added to the schedule to be resurfaced although a timescale was not given. In Low Common the water on the road seems to be caused by the ditches being squashed in, it was recommended that the land owner is approached to dig them out, Cllrs Easton and Pennell will speak to them. There was concern over the size of farm machinery using the lane. A culvert needs to be rodded out further down Low Common which highways will undertake and may involve a road closure. The area by the school was inspected and Gary agreed that the parish could undertake this themselves however would provide a cost for consideration under the Parish Partnership Scheme. Cllr Pennell reported that they ran out of time to look at the lane behind Greenways but Gary will return. A discussion concerning the state of Hall Road which has been subject to bad road surface erosion, to repair this work the ditches will need to be reinstated and the road resurfaced.

iii. To consider Bunwells application to NCC scheme: The parish council is due to receive a refund of approximately £6500 from the Safer Crossing scheme undertaken last year. Three quotes have been obtained for consideration for this year’s scheme. The first is to resurface the area between the church and school £6780. The second is to kerb and reinstate the edge of the carriageway along The Street £17900. The third would be to extend the trod path from Britannia House to the parish boundary, approximately £30000. It was discussed that the resurfacing by the school and the kerbing could be undertaken at no cost to the parish council (using the refunded money from last year’s scheme). It was thought that these two ideas are higher priority than extending the trod path, which some councillors thought was a lot of money for only a few residents to benefit. It was proposed by Cllr Spreadbury, seconded by Cllr Kemp and agreed that a bid is submitted to the NCC scheme for the resurfacing by the school and the kerbing of The Street. Cllr Easton did not vote due to his interest in the area by the school. Cllr Pennell offered to submit the bid.

b. Standards Regime Training: The clerk reported that South Norfolk Council is considering the best way to deliver this training.

c. Green Grant Progress: Cllr Pennell reported that now he has the PDF writer he will be able to submit the planning application.

16. Reports on Meetings Attended

a. South Norfolk Council – Community Resilience Workshop: The clerk and Cllr Pennell attended this workshop. The main message of the workshop was for each parish to have an Emergency Plan. It was agreed to prepare an advert in the parish magazine to appeal for residents to volunteer to form a working party to form a plan.

b. Long Stratton Area Action Plan Briefing: The clerk reported that this plan will be coming out to public consultation in May and will run into July. The bypass will be to the east of the village and the majority of the development will be infill from the existing village to the bypass. There will be a new school and possibly a community building and land provision included.

c. Parish Partnership Road show: There have been seven road shows. The clerk attended the one in South Norfolk; Cllr Pennell was assisting Cllr Spratt in delivering the road shows.

d. Tas Valley Neighbourhood Board: The meeting had presentations on the handyman service, training opportunities, sports coaching, various road problems and defibrillators. The Co-op is currently installing 100 units around Norfolk and North Suffolk. They defibrillators have been purchased using the profit from tobacco sales. The nearest proposed location to Bunwell will be Austhorpe House at Forncett.

17. Additional grants in the village: Cllr Pennell reported that there are many grants available and if anyone in the village has an idea, he is sure there is a grant to assist them.

18. Matters of importance from councillors: There were no further matters.

19. Agenda items for next meeting: Nothing at the moment.

20. Date of Next Meeting: The first Monday of May is a bank holiday therefore the meeting will be on 13th May, this will include the Annual Parish Meeting at 7.30pm.


The meeting was closed at 9.15pm