Login FormClose

Other Information

December 2012 DRAFT minutes




ON 3rd DECEMBER 2012

Present: Cllr W Easton, Cllr M Dávila-Smith, Cllr Pennell, Cllr Kemp, Cllr Harrison, Cllr Smith, clerk Sarah Berwick and four members of the public.



1. To receive apologies: Ray Spreadbury sent his apologies which were accepted; District/County Councillor Bev Spratt also sent his apologies.

2. To receive declarations of interest: There were no declarations of interest made.

3. To adopt the minutes of the meeting held on 5th November 2012: Item 22 should read adjacent not opposite. The minutes were amended and signed.

4. To discuss matters arising from the minutes: The clerk was asked to ask for a volunteer to help with the inspection of the play area in the newsletter.

5. To consider co-option of councillors: There were no residents wishing to be co-opted onto the parish council.

6. To adjourn the meeting for the public to raise issues of concern:

a. Mr Ward & Mr Gledhill informed the parish council how they look after The Turnpike and have offered to ensure the path is gritted for residents if the parish council would provide the necessary equipment to do so. It was agreed by all that this is a very kind offer and could be a pilot in the village to see if this could work. The purchase of a grit bin for the area will be discussed under item 17. The purchase of a spreader will be investigated.

b. Comments were made regarding the reliability of the safer crossing; any concerns are being addressed by Westcotec and Norfolk County Council Highways Department.

c. It was commented that it would be a good idea if the police could undertake a speed check on the B1113.

d. A resident has asked how the Green Grant was coming on; this is now waiting for the planning application to be completed and submitted to South Norfolk Council.

7. To receive the District and County Councillor’s Report: No report.

8. To receive and discuss Correspondence

a. Mr S Hewitt – complaint regarding new B1113 crossing: Cllr Pennell will speak to Mr Hewitt.

b. A Staffiere – query re parish council entry in the parish magazine: It was agreed that this is a report of the meeting not the full minutes and would remain as such. The clerk was asked to make this clear in the report.

c. Norfolk Police Authority – consultation on police 2013/14 precept: This letter invites councillors to a meeting on 18th December however Cllr Pennell explained this has since been cancelled.

d. South Norfolk Council – Community, conservation and you 12/1/13. South Norfolk Council are holding this conference at Poringland Wood where demonstrations about hedge laying and other woodland management skills.

9. To receive a report on police and crime issues: There have been five crimes in the village during November; there were two burglaries one attempted on Bunwell Street and the other where access was gained and a couple of laptops were stolen from a property in Greenways.

10. To receive the Tree Warden’s Report: Mr Westrup reported that he has attended a couple of tree warden meetings. The advice with regards to diseased Ash trees is that small ones should be destroyed however larger trees should be retained as there is a chance they may survive. There are lots of other diseases attacking other trees too, if in doubt about the health of a tree it is best to report it.

11. To receive the Footpath Warden’s Report: No report

12. To receive the Children’s Play Area Report: Nothing to report.

13. Finance

a. Current Financial Position: The clerk reported the current balance stands at £6738.14.

b. Approval and payment of invoices: The below payments were agreed and signed.

i. Bunwell Village Hall £79.20 (hire of hall for meetings)

ii. SJ Berwick £42.90 (Expenses)

14. To consider the following planning applications

a. 2012/2018 Blackgrupp, Bunwell Hill – erection of a single storey garage: Councillors agreed that this application should be approved with the usual lighting clause. It was agreed however to query where the water runoff from the roof was to be directed as this area of Bunwell Hill is particularly wet.

b. Wood View, Wood Lane – proposed extensions, detached garage & road access: Councillors will again recommend this application for refusal again for the same reasons as before; the proposed property is too large for the site and is not in-keeping with the surrounding properties. Councillors also notice there is no design and access statement included in the plans.

c. To receive a report on planning decisions by South Norfolk Council: 2012/1822 9 Haylock Close; first floor extension over existing kitchen along with associated internal alterations has been approved with conditions.

15. To discuss on going matters:

a. Highway Matters: A couple of pot holes were mentioned which the clerk will report. The clerk has requested that South Norfolk Council sweep The Old Turnpike.

b. B1113 Crossing: Westcotec is investigating how to let the pedestrians know that the wig-wag flashing lights are working. A discussion was held whether a reduction in the 40mph to 30mph or an advisory 20mph would be better. Views were mixed however the clerk mentioned that Highways don’t usually change speed limits unless there is a change in the road infrastructure i.e. new entrances or a high accident record. The opening of the crossing is to be held on Thursday 6th December at 11am with light refreshments provided in the village hall.

c. High School drop off/collection points on B1113: It was agreed to request the children are dropped off so they can use the crossing and trod path along the B1113. Clerk to write to Norfolk County Council.

d. Safety in the vicinity of the shop: Cllr Pennell has not progressed this any further.

e. SAM (mobile flashing sign) progress: The clerk has met with the casualty reduction officer to get the sites in the village assessed. Unfortunately the equipment cannot be used in a 40mph limit. Various points along The Street have been identified. Cllrs Pennell, Smith and Dávila-Smith volunteered.

16. To agree on the precept for 2013/14: The clerk reported that she has contacted the companies that quoted for the grounds maintenance contract have returned with an adjusted price to include the areas by the village hall, Norse has come out the cheapest so it was agreed to offer them the contract for 2013. The proposed budget was circulated. It was proposed by Cllr Easton and seconded by Cllr Kemp to set the precept at £11865 for 2013/14.

17. To consider the purchase of further grit bins: It was agreed to purchase a further grit bin to be positioned on Wood Lane by the recycling area.

18. To receive reports on meetings attended:

a. Norfolk Association of Local Councils AGM: Cllr Pennell reported that the same officers were elected. An interesting discussion was held with the Crime Commissioner’s Candidates.

b. Tas Valley Neighbourhood Board: Cllr Pennell reported that Tas Valley Neighbourhood Board still has £30,000 in the pot for grants. All boards are being asked to give some of their pot money to a scheme called homestart.

c. Fields in Trust Road Show: This scheme is trying to get 100 fields registered as QEII playing fields they currently have 76.

19. To receive matters of importance from councillors: The clerk was asked to investigate whether having a paper recycling area in the village hall would be worthwhile. It was agreed however that the car park at the village hall was not suitable for large lorries and containers. It was mentioned that with residents having their own recycling bins at home this may not be a viable scheme.

20. Agenda items for next meeting: Nothing at the moment.

21. Date of Next Meeting: January 7th 2013

22. To consider closing the meeting to the public and press under the The Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960 s2 to discuss a confidential matter (reason to be provided): It was agreed not to close the meeting.

23. To discuss unregistered land in the village: Councillors raised concern about the cost of this project however it was agreed that Cllr Pennell investigates the procedure required to register this land and how to clean the area.

The meeting was closed at 9.00pm