Login FormClose

Other Information

Draft September 2012 PC Minutes

BUNWELL PARISH COUNCIL

MINUTES OF THE MEETING

HELD IN BUNWELL VILLAGE HALL

ON 3rd September 2012

Present: Cllr W Easton, Cllr M Dávila-Smith, Cllr Pennell, Cllr Kemp, Cllr Harrison, Cllr M Crouch, Cllr Spreadbury, Cllr Smith, clerk Sarah Berwick and twenty two members of the public.

1. Apologies: District and County Councillor Bev Spratt sent his apologies.

2. Declarations of interest: Cllr Easton declared an interest in items 9(f) and 18. Cllr Kemp declared an interest in item 9(h).

3. Minutes of the meeting held on 2nd July 2012: Cllr Crouch asked that item 5a (ii) the sentence “During the discussion it was pointed out that the parish council is there to represent all residents’ views, not just those that ‘shout the loudest’” was amended to read ‘During the discussion it was pointed out that the parish council is there to represent all residents’ views.’ This was agreed. He also proposed that the word ‘all’ be changed to lower case. These amendments were made and the minutes were then signed as a true record of the meeting.

4. Minutes of the meeting held on 2nd August 2012: The minutes were signed as a true record of the meeting.

5. Matters arising from the minutes: There were no matters arising from the minutes.

6. Co-option of two councillors: Cllr Crouch raised concern that the vacancy had not been advertised in the correct way. The clerk explained she has spoken to South Norfolk and they stated that as we have previously advertised the vacancy and this has not been filled for several months we do not need to display the statutory notice again and can co-opt. The parish council has advertised the vacancy for several months and has received one application from Mr Smith. Cllr Pennell proposed that Mr Smith is asked to join the parish council; this was seconded by Cllr Easton and agreed. Mr Smith joined the councillors and signed the Declaration of Acceptance of Office. There is still one more vacancy on the parish council; this will be advertised in the magazine again.

7. Public to raise issues of concern:

a. There was further discussion regarding the South Norfolk Councils LDF Site Specific, in particular Cllr Crouch produced documents submitted by FH Easton Ltd where they offered a parcel of land to the LDF for 150 homes. It was commented that there are many other parcels of land offered in the Site Specific but they are not being questioned. A heated debate followed however it was explained that this was not a planning application just an offer of land from a farmer like other landowners in response to South Norfolk Councils request for possible land that could be developed under the LDF. It was agreed that this discussion should be left until after the Neighbourhood Plan information meeting with Tim Horspole next Monday.

b. A resident queried the accuracy of the minutes however they were agreed by councillors as a true record earlier in this meeting. The resident also queried the August meeting saying it was not advertised. Cllr Easton explained that the meeting in August was called to discuss planning applications that are time sensitive and therefore could not be delayed until the September meeting. The clerk confirmed that the agenda was placed on the website and councillors confirmed that they had put the agendas up in the notice boards.

8. District and County Councillor’s Report: Cllr Spratt was not present.

9. To receive and discuss Correspondence

a. Norfolk Association of Local Councils – Nomination of officers for 2012/13: Cllr Pennell (who sits on the executive of Norfolk Association of Local Councils) suggested that we nominate Mr David Hewer as treasurer but do not nominate in other posts. This was unanimously agreed.

b. Norfolk Association of Local Councils – AGM, Resolutions for debate: There were no suggestions of resolutions to be submitted.

c. Vitalise (respite breaks for disabled people) request for donation: It was agreed that this is a worthwhile cause however we have not budgeted for a donation to Vitalise this year.

d. Yare Valley CAB AGM Invite – 18th Sept Gt Yarmouth 7pm – Attendance? No one wished to attend.

e. Yare Valley CAB – Request for support: Cllr Crouch suggested that we consider a donation to Diss CAB when a request is presented as he is aware of residents using the Diss branch.

f. FH Easton Ltd – Access to field across Trod Path: It was agreed to consider this item under item 16a (ii).

g. Reply from resident regarding access to field via Brick Kiln Lane: This reply was noted by councillors.

h. Bunwell PCC – Donation request for churchyard upkeep: The clerk confirmed that we budgeted £330 towards the upkeep of the churchyard. This amount was unanimously agreed.

i. Mr R Bacon MP – Village SOS lottery fund: It was agreed that this grant was not relevant to any project in the village at the moment however councillors were asked to spread the word about the grant.

j. Mr & Mrs Seaward – Proposed large scale development: Cllr Crouch gave a brief background on Mr & Mrs Seaward and explained that he considered there are several points in the letter that should be considered. It was agreed that this letter and the queries it raises should be answered next Monday at the information meeting.

10. To receive a report on police and crime issues: There have not been any crimes recorded for June, July or August in the village. Our ‘Beat Buddy’ for Bunwell is PC 1694 Stuart Watson.

11. To receive the Tree Warden’s Report: There were no queries regarding trees in the village. Residents and Councillors were reminded that South Norfolk offers free trees and hedging for planting in a public place once a year.

12. To receive the Footpath Warden’s Report: Cllr Spreadbury explained there has not been any reports of problems on footpaths. He is trying to ensure that farmers reinstate footpaths across cropped fields as soon as possible once the field has been drilled. He also explained that there are still several missing finger posts around the village footpaths and has tried unsuccessfully on numerous occasions to speak to the new officer at Norfolk County Council. It was suggested that Cllr Spreadbury contacts Cllr Spratt to seek his help.

13. To receive the Children’s Play Area Report (to include latest RoSPA inspection recommendations): Cllr Crouch reported that the play area has been assessed as medium risk. He has removed the frayed rope and some more bark has been put in place. Thanks were passed to FH Easton Ltd for providing the bark. The gates are still to be adjusted. The gym equipment was not assessed as there are no standards for it. The zip wire will need monitoring as the recently repaired part seems to be failing again, Cllr Pennell will take this forward with Play builder who installed the equipment.

14. Finance

a. Current Financial Position: This was circulated to all councillors prior to the meeting. There were no queries regarding the accounts.

b. Approval and payment of invoices: The following cheques were agreed and signed:

i. Bartlett Signs £62.40 (aluminium signs x2)

ii. Playsafety Ltd £104.40 (play area report)

iii. Bunwell Village Hall £145.20 (hire of hall)

iv. Mrs SJ Berwick £81.75 (expenses for July & August)

v. HM Revenue & Customs £185.39 (clerks tax)

vi. Bunwell PCC £330 (grant for churchyard upkeep)

15. To consider the following planning applications

a. 2012/1441 138 Bunwell Street – single storey rear extension: Councillors agreed that this application should be recommended for approval with our usual lighting clause.

16. To discuss on going matters:

a. Highway Matters

i. General problems: Cllr Kemp asked why the pot holes between the school and church have not been filled in. The clerk mentioned it has been reported several times and suggested that if other residents/groups report the problem then we may stand more of a chance in getting them repaired.

ii. Report from meeting with Highway Engineer on 22/8/12: Cllr Pennell reported that he met with our Highway Engineer and discussed various issues. The extension to the trod path was discussed; this will be to Britannia House and should not cost the parish council. The existing trod path is wearing well and has not received any maintenance since it has been installed with exception of a repair where it was driven over. The entrance to the field mentioned under agenda item (9(f) is to be reinstated so the farmer can access his field without damaging the trod path. The footpath from Greenways to the school was inspected and the Highway Engineer discovered that the centre of the path is ‘metalled’ therefore he is investigating who is responsible for the maintenance. The pot holes in Rectory Lane will be repaired and this Lane will be scheduled for resurfacing next year. The verge destruction on Bunwell Street from the Post Office to Days Garage was discussed and Cllr Pennell was advised that it is not policy to install kerbing in a rural area. Cllr Pennell asked the parish council if they would like him to pursue this with Norfolk County Council, this was agreed. Cllr Pennell explained that there is to be another ‘match funding’ scheme next year. Cllr Pennell suggested that another light warning system by the shop and North Road of oncoming vehicles on The Street. This could utilise the surplus parts from the installation of the B1113 crossing which will make the existing 40MPH flashing sign redundant.

b. Jubilee mugs: A query has been received regarding the number of mugs ordered and the cost to the parish council. Denise explained that she has not received all the paperwork to produce the accounts for the jubilee yet but this should be available at the next meeting. There are no mugs remaining.

c. Green Grant: The planning application is being compiled at the moment and should be submitted to South Norfolk Council shortly. Cllr Pennell reminded the parish council that there will be some fees to pay.

d. B1113 Crossing: All the funding for the crossing is now in place and the equipment should be installed next week. Cllr Crouch expressed concern that users could expect the crossing to operate like a normal pelican crossing unaware that the vehicles will remain in a 40mph limit and not be required to stop for the pedestrians.

17. Wymondham Road – Speeding Traffic Concerns (raised during public participation at the July meeting): It was agreed that speeding is a problem though out the village. It was suggested that the Speed Watch scheme is started again however this will need at least six volunteers to start it. It was agreed to advertise in the magazine for volunteers.

18. Development for Bunwell: This item was again regarding the FH Easton response to the LDF as discussed under item 7(a).

19. Report on briefing event regarding South Norfolk Council Local Plan Sites Preferred Options consultation: The clerk reported that she attended the briefing which was opened by Cllr Derek Blake explaining it was not the time for specific queries. Tim Horspole ran through the history of the LDF and outlined the next steps. The consultation runs from 3rd September to 26th October. The proposed 1200 sites have been individually assessed by SNC and they have come up with their preferred sites. The consultation is to test the assessment of the sites and gives a final opportunity to present evidence for or against sites. SNC will then assess the responses – if there are areas it is thought need further investigation another consultation MAY be held – it is hoped this will not be needed! SNC will then publish final version and this will be sent to Secretary of State (hopefully March 2013). Comments can still be made at this point and will be sent with the submission. SNC is looking to adopt the Plan at the end of 2013. The PC can borrow the promotional boards from SNC and the information is on SNC website – we should also be getting CDs with the information on. Tim stressed that the normal planning system remains in place.

20. To receive matters of importance from councillors: There was nothing further for discussion.

21. Agenda items for next meeting: Nothing at the moment.

22. Date of Next Meeting – 1st October 2012

The meeting was closed at 9.35pm