Login FormClose

Other Information

March 2012 Minutes

BUNWELL PARISH COUNCIL

MINUTES OF THE MEETING

HELD IN BUNWELL VILLAGE HALL

ON 5th March 2012

Present: Cllr W Easton, Cllr M Dávila-Smith, Cllr J Pennell, Cllr D Harrison, Cllr R Kemp, Cllr M Crouch, Cllr A Hibbend, clerk Sarah Berwick and seven members of the public.

 

1. Apologies for absence: Cllr Spreadbury sent his apologies, these were duly accepted. David Westrup (tree warden) also sent his apologies.

2. Declarations of interest: Cllrs Easton and Pennell declared an interest in sports hall matters. Cllr Easton also declared an interest in footpaths.

3. Minutes of the meeting held on 6th February 2012: Cllr Crouch queried the minute of not mentioning company/individuals names in the minutes and parish magazine. He explained he did not feel this was practical but will come up with suggested wording at the next meeting.

4. Matters arising from the minutes: There were no matters arising from the minutes

5. Adjournment of the meeting for the public to raise issues of concern:

a. Concern was raised regarding the state of footpaths in the village in particular those that had been ploughed through. It was explained that the parish council footpath warden (Cllr Spreadbury) has these matters in hand and any queries regarding footpaths should be directed to him.

b. A resident queried what Section 137 was, this was explained.

c. Concern was raised with regards to the roads and verges in the village where Anglia Water have been installing the new water mains. It was explained that Anglia Water and Highways have agreed to reinstate the verges etc. once they have completed the scheme. The clerk will write to Anglia Water to confirm this.

6. Co-option to fill vacancies on the Parish Council: The clerk reported that Andrew Hibbend has shown an interest in joining the parish council. Cllr Pennell proposed Mr Hibbend is co-opted to the parish council; this was seconded by Ray Kemp and unanimously agreed. Mr Hibbend joined the parish councillors and signed his declaration of acceptance form.

7. District and County Councillor’s Report: Cllr Spratt was not present.

8. Correspondence

a. Environment Agency – Pollution from private sewage works and septic tanks: This letter is a request to draw resident’s attention to an article in the District Councils magazine, The Link which is delivered to all households in South Norfolk. The Environment Agency is trying to raise awareness of less efficient septic tanks and asks that residents ensure theirs are working properly as the rivers and ditches in the parish drain towards Sites of Special Scientific Interest.

b. Long Stratton Medical Partnership – repeat prescriptions: It was agreed that writing letters to the surgery will not change their minds to allow repeat prescriptions over the phone however Cllr Pennell is to investigate other options. The best advice, for the moment, for residents who experience problems is to contact the surgery directly to discuss the matter.

c. Bunwell Village Hall – problem with gates: A request from the village hall has been received to repair the gates at the village hall. It was agreed that although the gates were installed by the parish council the repair and maintenance is the responsibility of the village hall. However the gate that is coming away from the wall will be replaced under warranty of the fixings in the next couple of weeks. The clerk will reply to the village hall.

d. Mrs K Hoolahan – Damage to trod path: It was agreed that there is a farm entrance that has been missed when the trod path was installed. Cllr Pennell is in discussion with Highways to rectify this and other damage that has occurred to the path.

9. Report on police and crime issues: There were no crimes recorded in Bunwell during February.

10. Tree Warden’s Report: No report however Cllr Dávila-Smith reported that he has received notification that EDF will be carrying out tree work in the village in the next few months to ensure the electric lines are clear of trees.

11. Footpath Warden’s Report: Cllr Spreadbury emailed the councillors a report which was read out and will be filed with these minutes. The footpath between Greenways and Barhams Lane is becoming plagued with dog mess. The clerk will enquire if the Highway Rangers would clear the lane if not it was suggested that a ‘working party’ to try and clear the lane maybe an option, it was agreed to discuss this at the Neighbourhood Plan meeting on 19th March. It was agreed the parish council considers the purchase of a dog bin. The clerk will investigate costs and this matter will be placed on the agenda for the next meeting

12. Children’s Play Area Report: Cllr Crouch reported that he has tried to adjust the gate but it still is a finger trap therefore Cllr Easton will help Cllr Crouch remove the gate, cut and weld it to remove the danger.

13. Committee and Working Party Reports

a. Parish Design Statement/Neighbourhood Plan: There hasn’t been a meeting since the last parish council meeting. The next one is scheduled for 19th March in the Sports Hall. It was asked if this meeting could be advertised better, Cllr Pennell will arrange this.

b. Bunwell Madness Youth Club: Nothing to report, still going well.

c. Sports Hall: Cllr Pennell reported that there have been more enquiries regarding hire of the hall.

d. Drop Zone Youth Club: Mrs Harper reported that the youth club has had many visitors come and talk to the youth club, including The Matthew Project who will work with organisers to raise awareness of substance abuse. The Drop Zone is working with Momentum who assists the club with CRBs etc.

14. Finance

a. Current Financial Position: This was circulated to all councillors before the meeting. Cllr Pennell asked if the accounts could show more detail. Cllr Harrison is looking into this.

b. Approval and payment of invoices: The cheque below was agreed and signed.

i. SJ Berwick £42.85 (expenses)

15. Planning applications

a. 2012/0240 Westholme, Wymondham Rd; proposed detached double garage to front. Two new velux roof lights to front & rear: It was agreed that this application is in keeping of the existing property and councillors unanimously agreed it should be approved with the condition of Bunwell Parish Councils lighting policy.

16. On-going matters:

a. Highway Matters: The lane between the school and the church is still causing concern; the clerk will mention this to Highways again.

Cllr Pennell left the room.

b. Update regarding payment for the repair of heaters at the sports hall: The clerk explained that following the last meeting she has received an email informing the parish council that the resident who has a loan outstanding with the parish council has agreed to pay the bill in lieu of the repayment of the loan. Therefore the parish council is not required to claim on the insurance.

Cllr Pennell re-joined the meeting.

c. Outdoor gym equipment – to include confirmation of location of equipment: It was agreed that there was only one place for the gym equipment; near the sports hall beyond the bund, this would then enable the equipment to be flood lit should the need arise. The equipment should be installed on the 25th April. The equipment has to be free to use as per conditions of the Lottery Grant.

d. Queens Diamond Jubilee Celebrations: Cllr Harrison reported that the day is coming together. A flyer has been delivered around the village regarding the purchase of mugs for children in the village.

e. Grit Bins: With the help of County Council the grit bins are now in place. The clerk has received a complaint regarding the location of the one in Wymondham Road. The owner of the property where the bin has been placed is not happy with it being there, the clerk has explained that the land it is placed on is NCC owned however as a gesture of good will it was agreed the bin is moved to a verge by a field. Cllrs Easton & Pennell will investigate a different position and advise the clerk who will then arrange for the bin to be moved.

f. B1113 Crossing Update: Cllr Easton reported there is nothing further to report at the moment however he asked if the clerk could have the parish council’s approval to get the paperwork for the loan approved by Norfolk Association of Local Councils, this was unanimously agreed.

g. Confirmation of Appointment of Internal Auditor: It was proposed by Cllr Harrison to appoint Anne Barnes as internal auditor to the parish council; this was seconded by Cllr Easton and unanimously agreed.

17. Meetings Attended

a. Training on Planning (held at Bunwell): It was agreed that this training was worthwhile and thanked the clerk for arranging it.

b. Neighbourhood Board: Cllr Pennell explained that the Neighbourhood Board has been given more money to grant to community projects.

c. Briefing on NCC Services: This was a meeting to raise awareness of the County Councils new web information service council@yours.

d. Youth Advisory Board: This board is looking at Early Intervention schemes for children in South Norfolk.

e. Norfolk Rural Support Network: Cllr Pennell explained that at the last meeting fuel poverty was discussed.

18. The Village Olympics – to consider entering a team: It was agreed that Cllr Dávila-Smith investigate this and report at the next meeting.

19. Open space in Bunwell: It was agreed that this is passed to the Neighbourhood Plan Committee to investigate.

20. Matters of importance from councillors

a. Cllr Kemp explained the ‘deaf bus’ visited Bunwell recently and had 12 visitors. It was agreed that more publicity could boost numbers. Cllr Kemp was asked to contact the ‘deaf bus’ and ask for a magazine article that could be circulated to the surrounding villages.

b. Cllr Hibbend asked if the village hall could have a hearing loop fitted and if the screen nights could be subtitled. It was agreed that the village hall would have to investigate the hearing loop. Cllr Crouch agreed to take the request of the films being subtitled to the Bunwell Screen Committee.

21. Agenda items for next meeting: Cllr Dávila-Smith asked if the councillors could have further information on the loans that the parish council is involved with.

22. Date of Next Meeting – 2nd April 2012

It was proposed by Cllr Easton and seconded by Cllr Pennell and unanimously agreed that the public and press will be excluded from the next part of the meeting under The Public Bodies (Admission to Meetings) Act 1960 s2. These minutes will be recorded separately.

 

The meeting closed at 9.45pm.